Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Is Interracial Marriage Wrong?



John Piper writes a very insightful and challenging article about interracial marriage and the necessity of the local church to take a biblical stand on this issue. Of course, the problem in many cases is that many churches believe they are taking a biblical stand in their belief that interracial marriage is prohibited in Scripture, and their ignorance and bigotry is an offense to the gospel.

I remember as a seventeen year-old that I had my first significant disagreement with a pastor I respected when he stated from the pulpit that interracial marriage is sinful. It broke my heart to hear him use God's Word to erect the very barriers that the gospel of Jesus tears down. I encourage you to read the article. I think you'll find it encouraging, and maybe it will help you see more clearly the transforming impact that gospel is intended to have on our views of race and marriage.

2 Comments:

At 8:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had read this article before and I was really encouraged by it because even since I was a child, I've never understood why there is such a divide between people just because of skin color. Piper has a lot of great points and I think it's an issue that hasn't been addressed in the church here in the south because it is still taboo and frowned upon, perhaps even in our church, unfortunately.

 
At 9:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually at one time thought interracial marriage was wrong, but I still don't know why.

Maybe It's because I'm from Mississippi, which is culturally racist.

I seem to think that I actually heard a pastor say this once, and that was before I could discern for myself, and looking back, I ask "how could anyone believe that?"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home