Friday, June 08, 2007

The Silence Is Over...For Now

I need to apologize to my 8 readers, which has likely dwindled to 3-4 in my prolonged absence. The blogosphere has undoubtedly suffered through my silence. Unfortunately, after this post I'll have to retreat again for a week or so. There's just been too much going on in my world, but there is much for which to give thanks for God. For example, the past two years our church has abandoned the traditional VBS format for a more unconventional approach to ministry - which has been a welcome change for me because our culture is over-saturated with creative, entertaining, but biblically supine, anemic children's curriculum. For the past two years we attempted what we called mobileVBS. This was an attempt to engage children in the culture on their turf, near their homes and apartment complexes, with the purpose of building relationships for the sake of the gospel. We were met with marginal success. This year we've planned an adventure day camp for children (well, half-day) and God has been pleased to give us great success to date. I said from the outset if we have 50 children (25 from the community) it would be a success. As of today we have 75 registered children (with only 25 from our church) and will likely close out registration early next week even though we set June 20 as the final day to register. This event has taken up a huge portion of my time and attention, thus explaining my absence.

I thought I'd share some suggested books to read that I've been reading recently:

This is an excellent book. While it is targeted to parents, it would be a helpful resource for all believers to read. It details a gospel-centered approach to conversation - particularly to instruction, that wonderfully points to the benefits of the impact that speaking the gospel daily has on our individual and family lives.


If you have children you must add this to your child's reading library. Even if you don't have children this book has been a wonderful reminder to me how we need a Christological approach to how we read the Old Testament. I read through this with Emeline recently and it was a wonderful reminder of God's pursuing, redeeming love through His Son Jesus.

This is yet another outstanding biographical work from John Piper in The Swans Are Not Silent book series. If you aren't a big reader but want to see how God has been at work in the lives of men of faith from the past, this series is a helpful resource. Piper writes about Athanasius, John Owen, and J. Gresham Machen.


This is a strategic book for those wrestling with church health issues - which I believe is perhaps the most pressing issue among Southern Baptist churches today. It is a very practical approach to church structure that refuses to separate theology from corporate life. Without reluctance, Mark Dever calls us away from pragmatic ministry and a unity at all costs congregational life mentality toward a more faithful obedience to what Scripture has to say about congregational government and church life.

I'll be back after Student Life @ the Beach with the students.

6 Comments:

At 5:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you decided to blog again! Thanks for your dedication to Adventure Camp! We all apprieciate it

 
At 9:38 PM , Blogger Meredith said...

I was wondering where you had been. Enjoy the beach!

 
At 10:06 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Aaron! I missed the blog and am glad you posted. I completely agree about VBS and am siked about the adventure camp. When we get back from the beach I have to start my own blog for the South Africa trip so that should be interesting... I'm not so good at stuff like that but I'll try.

 
At 9:25 PM , Blogger Nathan said...

I love reading your posts. Don't give up. I'd love to hear some about how the VBS went.

 
At 6:30 PM , Blogger Meredith said...

you're gone again

 
At 4:16 PM , Blogger Aaron said...

I will be back...July 2

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home